Our next SharePoint User Group meeting will be on Thursday, Sept 1, 2016, starting at 11:30 AM at the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska (BCBSNE). Food will be provided 15 minutes prior to the start of the meeting. Please RSVP no later than 11 am, August 30, 2016 so we have an accurate food order.
Date & Time:
Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM Location:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska
1919 Aksarben Drive
Omaha, NE 68180
Please check in as a visitor at the main security desk when arriving on site at BCBSNE. Parking Information:
Please park in the visitor stalls. Because of construction, parking is limited. Please allow time to find a parking space. Topic: Transforming our Budgeting Process with SharePoint
Lincoln Electric System (http://www.les.com/) utilized hundreds of Excel workbooks and Word documents, thousands of lines of VBA code, and a multitude of individual folder permissions to perform its yearly budget. The system was severely locked down through custom code and permissions, and nearly all departments were utilizing outside programs or files to store their data before inputting into the budget system.
A simpler budgeting process was created through a lean event. The streamlined process then utilized the capabilities of SharePoint to transform LES’ budgeting. Each division has a SharePoint sub-site where they can go at any time to input future planned expenses. The solution uses:
- Lists for current and future budget items vs Excel workbooks and Word documents;
- Excel Web Service Web Parts to display near real-time statistics and graphs to lead budget preparers through the budgeting process.
- Nintex Forms to enable real-time field updating in Edit forms, and
- Nintex Workflows to consolidate yearly budget items, notify responsible persons during the process, and update items in other lists.
This rewrite of the system took less than three months of part time work to go from concept to production.
This presentation will cover the following:
- The importance of process transformation prior to technology application
- Agile development methodology
- The base components utilized in SharePoint
Business Intelligence with Excel Services
- Master data control with Nintex Forms
- Process automation with Nintex Workflows
- Overall results of the new process
Presenter: Jonathan Jakub, PE and Patrick Gans, PMP
Jonathan leads the Enterprise Resource & Planning team at Lincoln Electric System. His background includes electric grid system planning, protection systems design, and strategic planning. He has a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and a Master of Engineering Management from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Patrick leads the Business Solution team within Enterprise Resource & Planning at Lincoln Electric System. His background includes semiconductor design and test, project management, and software development. He has a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Electrical Engineering from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Food, Giveaways, Great Information:
Food will be provided for the event and there will be multiple drawings for great prizes (or books)!
If you have special dietary requirements, please email either David or Kerry.
SharePoint User Group Leader